After experiencing the presence of the Lord, it is hard to return to “business as usual.” As His truth and righteousness burn in our hearts, we leave renewed and ready to follow the path He has designed for our life.
God does not play “hide and seek” with His children. He desires to “be found” by all. If we desire to find God, we need only “search for Him with all our heart.” Jeremiah 29:12-13 holds the key.
- Make Him the priority of your life.
- Actively pursue Him.
- Stay in His presence.
Hide and seek really is a child’s game. Trade up to seek and find God?
Why would someone choose weak things? Do you remember childhood games that required you to “choose” your teammates? Do you remember the kid that was not the first choice? They were too slow, too small, or simply not good at the game. Sometimes that kid was you. Do you remember how humiliated you felt as you were the last to be chosen? But God chooses differently. He looks beyond our faults and weaknesses as He chooses us as instruments to accomplish His purpose. (2 Tim. 2:21)
The world sees weak things as objects of scorn and distain. Therefore, it disregards and marginalizes the old, the poor, and the disenfranchised. But God, increases the power of the weak. (Isa. 40:29) His grace is sufficient for His strength is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor. 12:9) Sometimes we forget that fact and try to do His work in our own strength. But God, after several unsuccessful attempts on our part, gently whispers in our ear, “You can do nothing without Me.” (John 15:5)
- Have I spent time in reading and meditating on God’s Word?
- Is there sin in my life that I refuse to confess?
- Have I placed other priorities ahead of God?
- Am I harboring bitterness, anger, or unforgiveness for someone in my life?
- How much time do I devote to prayer?
- Am I grieving the Spirit by being willfully disobedient?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may have found the source of your communications breakdown with the Lord. We are told to constantly examine our Christian walk (2 Corinthians 13:5) What are questions you ask yourself when you feel God is silent?
Why do you follow Christ? Why did you choose HIM for your savior? That was the issue behind Jesus’ statement to the crowds that pursued Him after His miracle of feeding five thousand adults. Jesus had gained a huge following as a result of His miracles, wonders and signs. (John 6:22) After this miracle, they were relentless in their search for His next stop—the next place that they could receive the benefit of His miracles—bread.
This morning I had tea with my girlfriend, Kim. She is my prayer intercessor and sister in Christ. As part of our commitment to the Lord, we have agreed to meet the last Friday of every month for spiritual support and accountability. Today as we talked, she mentioned a phrase that God had dropped in my spirit last week as a potential post to share with you.
- God is building our upper body so we will be able to “do His will.” The “head and heart” is where we are conformed to the image of Christ. Philippians 2:5 admonishes us to “Let this mind be in you that was also in Christ Jesus.” Christ was loving (when people were unlovable), obedient (when He was tempted to do otherwise) and steadfast (when Satan tried to distracted Him from the cross). He did nothing on His own but only what the Father told Him to do. (John 14:10)
- God is building our lower body so we will be able to “do His work.” It is time for us to move forward with the individual ministries God has placed in our heart to do. Ephesians 2:10 states, “We are His workmanship created unto good works which He has before ordained that we should walk in.” We think ministry work is limited to the pulpit and to the preacher. Wrong! Ministry in Greek means service. (Acts 1:17; Ephesians 4:12) We were not saved to “sit” but to “serve.”
- God is building our “wait” muscles so that we will be able to “trust and believe.” Learning to wait is an area that Kim and I pray for each other (alot). Isaiah 40: 31states: “They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength.” Our ability to trust is based on our confidence in what or who we believe in. Our belief is influenced by what we know. To build strong wait muscles, we must trust and believe in God–His greatness, His goodness and His fidelity.
John 1:4 states, “In Him was life and His life was the light of men.” Life in Greek is “zoe” and it means “soul and spirit.” The soul is where our spiritual DNA resides. For we were made in the image of God. It provides our unique (and sometimes quirky) personality. It consists of our mind, will, and emotions. It is from our zoe that we “live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:28) It is here that we do those “good works” for which God has created us. (Ephesians 2:10)
Light in Greek is “phos” and it means “unquenchable” light. To illustrate the power of phos, we need only look to the heavens. The planets, circle the sun, and it is the sun that provides their light or illumination. They have no “light bearing capacity” of their own. They are dependent on the sun for their light. The sun, however, needs no illumination, for it has a “light bearing capacity” of its own, that is unquenchable and cannot be extinguished.
As I reflect on this extraordinary word from God on life and light, I became humbled at the thought that Jesus, the God Man, came to be both “light and life” for us. Now as partakers of His divine nature, we have His power to also be both “light and life” in a very dark world. As I listen to the news and see the condition of our world, I became convicted and asked myself, where has the “light and life” gone? Where are the saints during this time of great darkness?
My prayer for you today comes from Ephesians 1:17-19:
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation of the knowledge of Him; That the eyes of your understanding may be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope of His calling and what are the riches of His inheritance in the saints. And what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who have believe according the working of His mighty power.
Today make it your purpose to be both zoe and phos in your “universe.” .